Come visit the Central Brooklyn CSA table at the Child Development Support Corporation Community Health and Wellness Fair on Saturday, April 9 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm at:
Child Development Support Corporation
352-358 Classon Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11238
Take advantage of this opportunity to get free health care, pre-screened for Food Stamps and purchase your CSA share all at the same time.
Health care services that will be available include an Ask-A-Doctor Session, Shape Up New York, Hemoglobin AIC & Blood Glucose Screening, massages, glaucoma screenings and a mobile mammography van. There will be fun activities too, like raffle prizes, face-painting, activities for children, and refreshments.
Hope to see you there!
We still have shares available for purchase for the 2011 season.
Thanks and welcome to everyone who have already signed up! We are proud of the opportunity our CSA provides for members of our community to eat well for less, and want to make sure that everyone who is interested in becoming a member has a chance to do so.
If you are interested but have questions or financial concerns, please contact us. If you sent in your deposit and membership agreement and want to make sure we received it, email us at CentralBrooklynCSA@gmail.com and we will get back to you right away. Click here to download a membership agreement.
Here’s to a delicious 2011 harvest.
With all of this cold weather, it’s hard to imagine a nice summer evening veggie distribution, but it’s already time to start gearing up! Here is some exciting information about the upcoming season:
1. We are very fortunate that Hebron SDA Church (at 1256 Dean Street) has welcomed us back for 2011, so we will be at the same location as last year.
2. BUT: our distribution day changed! Our new distribution day will be Thursdays, from 5 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
3. AND: our farmer has changed as well! We sorrowfully say goodbye to MimoMex, but due to our day change, we will now be working with Victor Pavia and El Mirador farm! Read about Victor here on our blog.
4. Thanks to our nonprofit partner, the NYC Coalition Against Hunger (NYCCAH), both vegetable AND fruit shares will be available on a sliding scale based on income.
5. So now it’s time to start signing up! Please complete the Membership Agreement located here and send in your payment or deposit (if applicable) before March 31 to make sure you get a share. Remember, its first come, first serve, so send yours in now!
If you have any questions or would like to take on a core group role, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Looking forward to a great 2011 season!
There is a great article mentioning Central Brooklyn CSA on City Limits which discusses CSAs, farmer’s markets, and the struggle to find high-quality food in low-income neighborhoods. Check it out here.
As of right now, we are only offering shares in the $35,000+ brackets. Please be aware that you are more than welcome to partner up with someone and purchase a share in a higher income bracket if you can!
We are also maintaing a waitlist for shares in the under $35,000 brackets, so please contact the CSA coordinator at centralbrooklyncsa@gmail .com, or at 212 825 0028 ext. 205 if you are interested.
Just a reminder that you CAN mail in your vegetable & fruit and/or eggmembership agreements and payments (Please note, you MUST secure your vegetable share BEFORE you may secure a fruit or egg share). It is not necessary for you to come to a sign-up event to secure your spot!
You may mail your forms to:
New York City Coalition Against Hunger
50 Broad Street, Suite 1520
New York, NY 10004
Please make checks payable to “NYCCAH”.